MUNICIPALITY OF KALESIJA
The Byzantine travel reports writer Jovan Kin (1150 -1165) in his travelogues noted the possibility of Muslim tribes Halisije or Kalisije having settled down in the valley of the Spreča river.
The arrival of Austro-Hungarians brought significant changes mainly through the intensive industrial development supported by construction of narrow gauge railways, roads and opening of ore mines; in 1906 the first elementary school was established in Kalesija and macadam road Tuzla - Zvornik, passing through Kalesiija and Požarnica was constructed. The construction of the railway Tuzla - Zvornik was started before the WWI and interrupted several times due to warfare.
The most remarkable religious buildings from the Turkish period are Atic Mosque built some 400 years ago, old mosques in Hemlijaši and Lipovica, on the so called "Pasha Road" from the Turkish rule period and Orthodox church in Dubnica, built in the 16th century. However the oldest cultural monuments in the area of Kalesija are the medieval tombstones called stećaks, from the 14th and the 15th century. Collection of more than a hundred is dotted on several sites all over the region, with various symbols and ornaments carved in stone. Also, there are remains of medieval forts on several locations: Gojčino, Zolje - Jajići, and below Pješavica.
Geographical Position [Top]
Municipality of Kalesija is situated in the northeastern BiH on the middle of the road Tuzla - Zvornik, in the valley of lower flow of the river Spreča, on the southern slopes of Majevica mountain and northern slopes of Javornik. The average altitude is of 270 m, with mild continental climate and average annual temperature of 10°C.
The seat of the municipality is a small town of Kalesija, surrounded by fertile fields and forested hills of both broad and coniferous woods. The municipality covers the area of 201 km², mainly under the fertile agricultural land in the valleys of rivers Spreča, Mala Spreča, Gribaja, Bukovica and Dubnica, and remaining part under pastures and orchards, as well as oak, beech, white and dark pine and spruce woods.
Main road Tuzla - Zvornik and regional roads Kalesija-Živinice and Kalesija-Sapna along with railway Tuzla-Živinice-Kalesija-Zvornik are passing through the municipality. The length of categorized roads is 95 km, and its density is 47,26 km/100 km², which is above the BiH average.
Investment locations [Top]
The structure of the land plots points out to significant potentials for agricultural development, especially in the field of farming and fruit production. After the privatization process, the main pillars of economic development in the municipality companies: UNIS-TOK, BUSSCERHOF-PLASTIKAL, CPA KARTONAŽA Tojšići, KALETEKS, REMONTMONTAŽA dd POGON Tojšići, continued to operate successfully.
Being aware of changed circumstances, local entrepreneurs turned to private initiatives and effective utilization of natural and human resources, through small and medium size companies. The most important employer was the company "Plastikal" producing plastic containers. The company was privatized by German "Buscherhoff" and continued with the export production of special plastic containers and packages.
Agriculture Company “Spreča” was also among most important business units in the area, managing more than 4.000 ha of agricultural land and dairy farm with 2000 cows. The company was privatized by the method of public offerings of shares. The main portion of the land under the disposal of Canton has been farmed based on the lease agreements. The biggest increase in number of business entities is recorded in the processing industry, trade and transportation, with trade prevailing.
However, the majority of start-up companies belong to micro firms with less than 5 employees. In the last nine years, the number of micro firms has tripled and the number of private firms employing up to 50 workers has been increased for seven times. Number of middle-sized companies with 50-250 employees is relatively small and out of 15 companies of this size, 11 are majority state owned.